RTV118, is a self leveling consistency, ready-to-use adhesive sealant which is extremely versatile. It cures to a tough, durable, resilient silicone rubber on exposure to atmospheric moisture at room temperature.
Note: Acetic acid vapours are released from the sealant surface as a by-product of cure.
RTV118, sealant is a standard strength self leveling consistency product that can be applied to vertical and overhead surfaces where pourable or self-leveling sealants do not provide a practical alternative.
If self levelling sealants are required (which are preferable to paste-consistency sealants when flow into small crevices and hard-to-reach places is desired.) then RTV112 and RTV118 sealants are self-levelling products
For high temperature applications
Where standard strength high-temperature sealants are required RTV106 sealant is a paste-consistency sealant, whilst RTV116 sealant is a self-levelling sealant.
Maximum Thickness 6mm (1/4in.)
Since all the above sealants (RTV102, RTV112, RTV118, RTV106 and RTV 116) utilise a moisture cure system, they must not be used in thicknesses of greater than 6mm (1/4 in.).
If your application requires a section depth that will exceed 6mm (1/4 in.), then Momentive Performance Materials one component, addition cure or two-component silicone rubber compounds are recommended.
Key Features and Benefits of RTV118
- One-component self leveling product
- Capability to cure at room temperature and ambient humidity
- Self adhesion properties
- Low temperature flexibility
- Not suitable for high temperature applications
- Excellent weatherability and ozone and chemical resistance
- Excellent electrical insulation properties
RTV118 Typical Physical Properties
- Consistency : Self Leveling
- Colour : Translucent
- Viscosity, poises : 200
- Specific Gravity : 1.05
- Tack free time : 20 minutes
RTV118 Mechanical Cured Properties
- Tensile Strength, kg/cm2 (lb/in2 ) : 23 (325)
- Elongation % : 325
- Hardness Shore A : 25
- Shear Strength, kg/cm2 (lb/in2)(2) : 7 (100)
- Peel Strength, kg/cm (lb/in)(3) : 3 (15)
RTV118 Electrical Cured Properties
- Dielectric Strength, kv/mm (v/mil) : 16 (400)
- Dielectric Constant @ 60 Hz : 2.8
- Dissipation Factor @ 60 Hz : 0.001
- Volume Resistivity, ohm-cm : 6×1014
RTV 118 Important Information
(1) Cure time 3 days at 25°C (77°F) / 50% relative humidity.
(2) At 100% cohesive failure.
(3) At 100% cohesive failure using 1 in. x 8 in. stainless steel screen at 180° pull angle.
(4) Information is provided for customer convenience only. These properties are not tested on a routine basis.
- RTV 118 sealant was not designed for and should not be used for applications intended for permanent implantation into the human body.
- RTV 118 sealant is not for use in delicate electrical and electronic applications in which corrosion of copper, brass or other sensitive metals is undesirable